Thursday, July 3, 2008

Temperatures High at our House

Yesterday both Barrett and Peyton spiked fevers above 104. Our household could keep Children's Motrin in business.

I want to take this opportunity to say "always listen to your mother..." Yesterday morning my mom was advising me to take Peyton to the doctor. I put up a real fight arguing that doctors these days don't want to see fever patients unless the they linger for a couple of days (which is what I am constantly told when I call in). I tried to dismiss her suggestions. Seeing Peyton's misery, I re-considered and requested an appointment. Because HER high fever was accompanied by a wet cough, the doctor found that she had bronchitis...that if not treated would have probably resulted in pneumonia. Thank goodness we went in! He prescribed antibiotics, gave her a breathing treatment and sent her home with an inhaler. She is now on the road to recovery and I am reminded that Mother Knows Best (even if you don't want to believe it).

Unfortunately, Barrett's high temperatures are her only symptom...dismissing her as a candidate for prescribed meds -- so she may have a longer road to cooling down. So we are in for a very lazy today filled with Popsicles, 7-up, naps and lots of cuddles. We are aiming for two healthy kids to celebrate a little fourth of July fun! Be well everyone!

No comments: