Monday, July 7, 2008

She's Back on the Charts!

Some of you may have already known that last year at Peyton's 2-year check up at the doctor, she was not on "the chart" for height. And before then she was teetering on the the 4 percentile mark. In February, Peyton had to go to the doctor for an ear infection, and the doctor happen to take her measurements and assessed that she, still, was not on the growth chart. He said if by her 3-year-old check-up she wasn't showing some progress, he would want to blood test her for growth hormone deficiency or a thyroid problem. This has concerned me for months....

I had finally come to terms that even if the outcome was "short" at her appointment -- I wasn't going to have her tested. I wasn't going to give my daughter a shot of hormones everyday for her to get taller. Who knows what the side effects could be with that...by her teenage years she could be 7 foot tall and hair on her chest. No! She would just have to be short. Even a measly 4'11'' wouldn't be the end of the world for a girl!

But today she had her 3-year appointment. I waited anxiously as they tallied up her numbers. She had grown 3-1/2 inches in the year, 1-1/2 of them since February. She is in the 10Th percentile of height for her age. I believe that's the highest percentile she has ever been in that category! My how she has grown. We might even have a 5 footer on our hands! But, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Peyton, you really are a BIG girl now. YAY!

1 comment:

e-lane said...

I don't know how I missed this post, but that is so exciting!!!