Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Little Dorothy Hamel


Barrett had her second ice skating lesson this week and this time I had the sense to bring my camera. I also had the sense to dress us all a lot warmer! She was so excited to go and it's refreshing to see her really into something. This whole ice skating thing was her idea entirely.

Her first time on skates was our trip to Chicago in December for her 5th birthday. We went to the Winter Wonderfest at Navy Pier and there was an indoor ice skating rink among all the other activities. Her dad took her on the ice and she loved it. When we got home we went to Steinberg Ice Rink a time or two spread over a few months. All the while she was skating decently but always holding our hand or the wall. She wanted to be able to do it on her own ( as a matter of fact she aspires to wear the little outfits as well) -- so she asked for lessons. I have to admit, I was reluctant at first considering we've tried soccer and she hated it after one session and dance class didn't last long either. But since those activities she hadn't really shown interest in anything extracurricular, so I figured it was worth a try.

Good choice. At her first lesson she was down on her butt more times that I can count...but she always sprang right back up. Balance-wise, she actually seemed to be ahead of the game in her Snowplow 1 class. But best of all...when it was time for her SECOND class..she wanted to go back. She even invited her dad to come watch. When my little girl was out there on that ice, she had this huge, shiny smile that I had never really seen before plastered across her face and when I looked over at her dad watching proudly ...I know where she got it!

No comments: