Friday, April 11, 2008

My Foundation

Every month, I meet a small pack of girls that I went to gradeschool with for dinner. My friendships with most of these girls go back as far as Kindergarten. I can truly say that these women are my foundation.
These dinners of ours are spent discussing topics ranging anywhere from home improvements to estrogen levels. We chat hours away sharing "our worlds" with each other until we are all up to speed. For me, these meetings are therapeutic. I get to share the latest and greatest on my mind, while realizing that the worries, interests and situations happening in my neck of the woods are also happening in theirs.

The greatest thing about this group of ladies, is that each one is so different than the next...yet we are all grounded together by our childhoods. Each one is special to me in a very different way:

Let me start with Stephanie. I begin with Steph because she is dying to "make the blog" so I want her to have a good seat, right up front. Stephanie is a tiny, spitfire of a woman who has a knack for comic relief like no other. She always has a story or "scoop" as she says and I've never attended an event with her that I didn't spend laughing out loud. Her humor is a gift. She is spunk, with a capital 'S'.

Next there is Dana. Dana exhibits shyness and reserve at our dinners, she seems to be taking it all in. However, I don't remember her this way from childhood...so I know there is a wild woman locked away in there somewhere. Dana has been through some bumps and in my opinion has not even begun to tap into the strength she has inside of her. She is a kind and reliable friend.

Then there is Chrissy. Chrissy has a way about her that could make anyone comfortable. She is so intelligent, pretty and so creative, yet she is filled to the brim with modesty. She is a priceless commodity to our little group.

Next up is Jenny. Jenny is a nurse and our go-to-gal for all of our ailments and kids' health questions. Jenny is strong and she calls it like she sees it. Jenny and I have had a friendship for a very long time -- but I did not recognize the depth of that friendship until she (unexpectedly to me) attended the memorial service of my father -- a man she has never met nor probably ever even heard about. She was there for me and me alone. I'll never forget that!

Now...Tracy, Tracy, Tracy. I don't think I have a childhood memory in which Tracy is not present and accounted for. She lived down the street from me as a kid and we were together ALL of the time. Tracy is one of the most optimistic people I know and she is hardly ever without a smile. She is sweet, she is fun, to me...she is Grease Lightening!

And last, but positively not least, is Joy. I have too many word for this blog entry for Joy. She was special to me as a kid, but she is invaluable to me now as an adult. Joy is a comfort to me when I'm worried and an encouragement when I'm struggling. To me, Joy is inspirational in her mothering, her support to her family and her faith in God. She is a friend in the true sense of the word and I feel blessed to have her in my life.

Although I see these girls but once a month, I think of them much more often. They especially take space in my mind as I start to prepare Barrett for Kindergarten. I pray that she, too, finds the life long friends that I did. I am very lucky to still have these unique women in my life on a constant. I love you guys!


1 comment:

steph said...

Jen.. FINALLY someone listens to me! Next time though I was wondering if I could be at the begining and end?

Actually since I am certain that I have a head tumor this will be good on my obituary!!