Friday, May 9, 2008

Ode to Mom...


Dear Mom,

Every chance you get, you send compliments and praise my way for my abilities and choices as a mother. However, it's you, dear mother, that has the true noteworthy mothering skills. Whenever I find myself at a loss or circumstance that I'm not quite sure how to handle involving my girls, I always find myself wondering what you would have done in each of those circumstances. Why? Because when I look back on my childhood I have not ONE memory of any struggle or any doubt in your parenting decisions. You, somehow, always knew just what to say and just what to do. AND, I think I turned out pretty good if I do say so myself. So "you must have done something right!"

As I go through different stages of Barrett and Peyton's lives, it never ceases to amaze me that you went through all these same phases and issues as a mother all on your own. It has taken being a mother to realize the incredible mother you were (and still are). Your strength as a single parent is incomprehensible to me. Even though I was missing a father in my life, your love and care were so complete -- I never sensed an absence.

Mom, you are such a kind and giving person, you are an inspiration. You spend your life taking care of others selflessly...for that I have no doubt that God will take care of you.

You are so beautiful inside and out. You are smart, you are funny and you are so very generous. In a word, you are rare. The time we spend together is so valuable to me. I am blessed to have the chance to grow closer and closer to you. Something I wish you would have had a chance to do with your own mother. She would have been beyond proud.

My girls are very lucky to have the chance to spend time with such a wonderful grandma. It means the world to me for them to able to know you and to love you. Our Wednesdays together are priceless to me -- and someday will be to them as well.

You are a wonderful mother and grandmother and I would like the whole world to know! I wish you the very best Mother's Day...this year, and every year. I love you.

Yours,
Jennifer Rose

No comments: